At the final conference we gave an overview of the INSMART methodology and explained how it will be beneficial to other cities. We examined the results for each of our four cities and shared what we have learnt about how this methodology can be applied and integrated in the planning process at a city level. We also heard from guest speakers working in projects that are complementary to INSMART.
The INSMART project has developed the tools to better forecast energy consumption and carbon emissions when looking at options for city development. Using the INSMART methodology alternative scenarios are analysed and ranked for new and existing developments taking into account housing stock, transport, public buildings and spaces and options for renewables.
The day started with a welcome speech and project overview from project coordinator George Giannakidis.
There were then three guest speakers
- Uwe Remme, International Energy Agency – Energy Technology Perspectives 2016 – Towards Sustainable Urban Energy Systems
- Erik Ahlgren, Chalmers University – Modelling heating systems in Swedish Cities
- Mashael Yazdanie, Laboratory for Energy Systems Analysis at the Paul Scherrer Institute, Villigen, Switzerland – The role of decentralized generation and storage technologies in long-term, cost optimal energy systems planning for Swiss urban and rural agglomerations (this presentation is currently unavailable)
5 MBThe INSMART Project Motivation – George Giannakidis6 MBEnergy Technology Perspectives 2016 – Uwe Remme1 MBHeating Systems – Erik Ahlgren1 MBThe role of decentralized generation and storage technologies – Mashael Yazdanie
Project partners then presented on the INSMART methodology
- Building Modelling – Gavin Long, University of Nottingham
- Transport Modelling – Matthew Pollard, SYSTRA
- Energy Consumption in Municipal Services and Estimation of solar potential in the cities – Luis Dias, FCT
- Integrated City Energy System Model – Rocco Demiglio, E4SMA
- The integrative and participatory approach of INSMART – George Stavrakakis, CRES
5 MB01_INSMART Building Modelling2 MB02_INSMART Transport Modelling2 MB03_Municipal Services and Estimation of solar potential5 MB04_INSMART Energy System Model6 MB05_INSMART Multi Criteria Decision Analysis
The conference finished with presentations from the cities to share their INSMART experiences and their ambitions for a sustainable future for each city.
2 MBCesena, Italy5 MBEvora, Portugal3 MBNottingham, UK5 MBTrikala, Greece